Monday, November 4, 2013

Reflecting on "game night".

We had another Forgotten Islands Hyborian game last night.  It was the final session to our "Tomb of Voltannox" adventure.  Unfortunately I am two games behind on doing reports for this campaign but I am taking a break while another player from this game runs a Star Wars game for the next few sessions.  I hope this will give me the time to not only get caught up on the reports but also to get caught up on a few of the projects.

Sometimes I wonder why I have been putting so much effort into my games.  I've been playing with painted miniatures and finished terrain in my current games and I've been trying to do a "good" job of it.  Not only that I've been doing my best to do reports for almost every session.  All of this requires a lot of effort that a lot of gamers don't bother with
 
Of course there are people out there doing a far better job of it than I am.  I've seen some pretty amazing games out there with nicer terrain and miniatures than I have.  There are times when I think I should push myself a bit more and try and up the quality of my work but I really think I have found a good balance between what is reasonable and what I can afford and have time to produce.

I usually don't sit down and really try and do my "best" on miniatures these days but I also don't play with unpainted figures and terrain.  I have found over the years that what I enjoy most about this hobby is playing games with finished miniatures.  I don't enjoy playing with unpainted figures and I don't enjoy just painting miniatures to display so I have had to find a balance that works.

I think I'm finally getting to the point that I feel like I am playing the kind of games I have always wanted to play.  I have had the ability to do these kinds of games for a long time but what I lacked was the focus and commitment to see projects through.  I had a lot of nice miniatures but not much in usable collections.  I had some nice terrain as well but not enough of any one type to put a good board together for any kind of game.  I had to decide what I really wanted to do with my games before I could get organized enough to get these kinds of things done.  Doing so has not only made the hobby far more enjoyable for me but more affordable and easier.  

1 comment:

joe5mc said...

I completely understand what you are saying. After years and years of painting miniatures without ever seeming to have enough of any type to 'play a game', I have decided to focus on Lord of the Rings and painting to play.

Keep up the good work. I'm enjoying the blog.